Sizing Indexes - URGENT

From: <JayK_at_ibsplc.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:08:44 -0800

Dear All,

I have a task on hand to size a database for our application. I have used the Oracle rule to find out the rowsize of rows in a table.

  1. Space available for the data (SAD) = data block size ? block header size = db_block_size ? kcbh ? ub4 ? ktbbh ? (initrans -1)* ktbit ? kdbh
  2. Available Data Space (ADS) = ceil(SAD * (1-pctfree/100)) ? kdbt
  3. Space used per row (SPR) = (Total size of the columns data length) + (1 byte per column with length < 250 )+ (3 * 1 byte per column with length >= 250)
  4. Row Size (ROWSZ) = 3 * ub1 + SPR
  5. Space used per row(SPROW) = max(ub1 * 3 + ub4 + sb2, ROWSZ) + sb2
  6. Total Size of the table = Expected Number of records * SPROW

I hope this formula is correct.

How can I do the sizing of indexes. Shouldn't I take into account the 10 bytes consumed by the ROWID pseudocolumn apart from the column(s) that are indexed ?

TIA for all your help.

Best Regards
Jai

  INET: JayK_at_ibsplc.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Sun Mar 16 2003 - 22:08:44 CST