9i RAC - GFS

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 20:38:37 -0800

Attached in a quote from an Oracle Rep, asking us to avoid Global file systems on Sun Cluster nodes for 9i RAC.

It is very clear that binaries and/or datafiles on GFS are not supported today. The reason for this is the proxy I/O that GFS is based on can be a real performance and scalability bottleneck. However, The use of GFS for archive logs is the one circumstance where GFS may work for you. The caveat here is that this has not been well tested. Noone internally at Oracle is actively testing with GFS in any capacity today, and I'm not personally aware of any customers who have done this. As a best practice recommendation, we suggest it be avoided altogether. However, if you have the luxury of time to be able to test performance both in standard operational peak loads, and the various backup and media recovery scenarios where you would need to access the archive logs, then you will not get any push back from Oracle Support saying "you are running an un-supported configuration, we can't help you."

Is this true?

Regards
Raj

  INET: Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Mar 14 2003 - 22:38:37 CST