RE: Organizational Challenge - Data Management Team

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:40:02 -0800

Ron,

I think you are starting at a good place.

Production DBA's worry about different things than Development DBA's. Mostly they are concerned with (in priority order) Backup schedules & Validations (make sure they are working), disk usage (make sure there is enough) and on-going tuning issues. Add to that the migration of new releases of the product and database structure changes.

Development DBA's deal with (in priority order) rapid changes to the database structure,migration of the changes to user test and production instances, disk sizings of projected data, and delivering the application and database to a production environment.

So you can see that the priorities are a bit different.

Saying that, I think the best structure is to have a team of people who monitor production databases. This could be done in a rotating basis so that everyone can become familiar with the production environment. And I really think that having a DBA assigned to a database as it is being developed is a good idea. The application team gets a dedicated person who grows in knowledge with the system.

Of course, all of this only works if you have solid DBA Standards - everything from server structure layout to database object naming standards. This creates an environment where anyone can step in anyplace and learn the system as quickly as possible.

Good luck!

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Mar 14 2003 - 12:40:02 CST