Re: File Restoration/Recovery

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:59:27 -0800

As with all backup and recovery plans, you should test, document, and perhaps automate the process, with particular emphasis on the recovery. What your associate describes sounds like an very expensive B&R plan.

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:44:01AM -0800, Gary Chambers wrote:
> All...
>
> A developer working on a Solaris 2.6 server running Oracle 7.3.4 desires
> a nightly backup (by simply copying them to a backup directory) of the
> datafiles of an active instance. I explain that it will be a waste of
> tape because the files will be corrupt and useless. He counters, "As
> long as these files are there, irrespective of their state, oracle [sic]
> provides the tools to restore the skeleton database based on these
> files."
>
> Will this be the case? I understand that there will [most likely] be
> some loss of data, but will Oracle "fix" itself to a point where it's
> useful again? TIA
>
> Gary Chambers
>
> //--------------------------------------
> // Lucent Technologies ITO/Servers/Unix
> // Senior Unix System Administrator
> // 4 Robbins Road, Westford, MA 01886
> // 978-399-0481 / 888-480-6924 (Pager)
> // Nothing fancy and nothing Microsoft

> Author: Gary Chambers
> INET: gc22_at_lucent.com

Ray Stell   stellr_at_vt.edu     (540) 231-4109     KE4TJC    28^D
Author: Ray Stell
  INET: stellr_at_cns.vt.edu