Re[2]:File Restoration/Recovery

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:39:49 -0800

Gary,

    I had a similar "engineer" managed DB around here for a while. The problem was that 'someone' deleted a couple of the datafiles by 'mistake'. (Ever see that CDW commercial concerning the "full file server"?) Well I got asked the same question to which I had a very good laugh & told the engineer to "go away".  That database is now under the DBA staff support & the engineer has no say in what we do to protect it. My premise is, I'm no engineer so I won't tell them how to design product, but at the same time their not a DBA so they don't tell me how to run a database.

    Basically, put it into archive log mode & handle it as you would ay other database. If they don't like it, let them swing on their own.

Dick Goulet

Author: Gary Chambers <gc22_at_lucent.com>
Date:       3/14/2003 12:22 PM

Dick...

Thanks very much for the reply!

> Only if 1) The database is shutdown prior to the copy of the
> datafiles, and everything else that compromises the database (online
> redo, control files, etc...)

I hate second-guessing myself, but this is what I've been trying to tell him.

> or 2) the effected tablespaces are put into hot backup mode before the
> copy, in which case when you restore the files Oracle will ask for the
> archive redo to roll them forward to the rest of the database.

Here's another direct quote on my admonition for not running the database with archive logging:

"Thanks again for your help on this. we've [sic] not decided to run oracle in archive mode yet as content on this oracle [sic] instance will only be changed through replication and instead of recovering from archive logs it is easy to recover it from replication."

The replication to which he is referring is through the application (Documentum).

> As far as "returning the skeleton database based on these files" he's
> smoking something good!! What I believe he's more likely asking for
> is a schema export.

I considered offering him that option, but that wouldn't solve his problem. The background (briefly) is that this server, until Wednesday, was being "administered" by an engineer -- it's part of someone's empire here at Lucent, and [WAS] outside of the scope of my Unix system administration team. On Wednesday, one of the hard drives failed, taking with it many of the datafiles Oracle finds useful. Not surprisingly, it quickly became in-scope. We replaced the failed drive, then discovered that the system wasn't even being backed-up. Now, this developer wants a way to recover without, again, having to manually recreate the database.

Thanks again for the reply and the assistance!!

Gary Chambers

// Lucent Technologies ITO/Servers/Unix
// Senior Unix System Administrator
// 4 Robbins Road, Westford, MA 01886