RE: utl_file_dir and 9i

From: Jamadagni, Rajendra <Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 05:08:50 -0800

John,

In 9i, Oracle is recommending that you make use of 'CREATE DIRECTORY' rather than UTL_FILE_DIR ... firstly because a directory can be created dynamically, so to adda new sub-directory you don't have to bounce the instance.

Plus instead of '*', you can dynamically create directory ... read/write and drop the directory if you wish.

I'd recommend you make use of this feature John, because UTL_FILE_DIR might just go away .... because of its limitations.

Raj

Rajendra dot Jamadagni at espn dot com
Any views expressed here are strictly personal. QOTD: Any clod can have facts, having an opinion is an art !!

Author: John Dunn
  INET: john.dunn_at_sefas.co.uk

Author: Jamadagni, Rajendra
  INET: Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com