RE: Excessive SQL*Net message from client waits

From: Karen Morton <oracledba_at_morton-consulting.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:29:09 -0800

Jonathon et al, is it really true that every session is waiting on the others if as each session is spawned, it does its thing (i.e. issues some set of queries) and then disconnects? There are never two sessions doing something simultaneously really. The user logs in and only sees and works with one screen at a time. A session is spawned to do some initialization stuff...this one sticks around and may see a bit more activity before the logout...so I can see how this one would have the waits. But the other spawned sessions connect, do something and disconnect. These spawned sessions come from various controls on the screen...not different app occurrences or windows within the app.

So, what I end up with are 10 separate trace files...one for each session connect period. Doesn't each trace file then only show that specific session's info and big spikes in SQL*Net message waits shouldn't "carry over".

I'll certainly try your idea about using netstat while tracing and see what I find.

I feel as if I'm being thick-headed about this but I do not see this same behavior at every installation. These high SQL*Net message waits are showing up only at this one client site. Other pratically identical sites do not see this behavior. By practically identical I mean that other comparable sites have different network config. This particular site has it's database server 100 miles away from the users running the client application. WAN vs LAN. Just wish I could find a "good reason" why it's so different.....

Thanks so much,
Karen Morton

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author: Karen Morton
  INET: oracledba_at_morton-consulting.com