Re: why SAN ? why not external storage ?

From: Arun Annamalai <oracle_at_shakaboom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:24:25 -0800

Usaually SAN and NAS is used for several good reasons...the two main are... 1) High availability - When you have your database files on SAN/NAS then you can bring ur database on another server when the primary goes down. Obviously you have to use a cluster or Big IP (F5) on the front. 2) reduce redundancy -A unix userid with home directory attached to a paticular NFS drive on NAS/SAN, will able to see all his files when he logs into other servers.

so far I heard "Net App" is low cost including with Raid 5.

-Arun.

Sr oracle dba

  my reasons to recommend an external storage was..

  1. the database size is 36GB, and according to many documents i have read, SAN is not cost effevtive unless populated by a large numbers of drives !!, now for the client the cost is not the factor.. given the situation.. wouldnt a SAN be an overkill ?
  2. NO DBA or SYS ADMIN skills to manage the SAN !!
    • Original Message ----- From: Tim Gorman To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 8:33 PM Subject: Re: why SAN ? why not external storage ?

    Can you share some of the reasons related to your decision in choosing a direct-attach storage (DAS) instead of a SAN? In general, a SAN is a much smarter choice than DAS.

      list, one of our clietns are going to by SAN, the current oracle databases take around
      36GB of storage.... i dnt understand there reason to go for SAN, i sugguested to buy an external storage
      box instead. How can i justify my desicion ? (cost of not the factor)

      TIA
      rahul

Author: Arun Annamalai
  INET: oracle_at_shakaboom.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Mar 13 2003 - 14:24:25 CST