Re: Re:Localizing keywords from Oracle's SQL engine

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman_at_perceptron.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:19:46 -0800

Stephen, Dick,

SQL keywords are not "localized", they stay "English", as they are described in SQL standard (or Oracle's adaptation of it). What changes, is Oracle messages (i.e. error messages) - based on the language you select when installing Oracle software. Choosing character set (when creating the database) has nothing to do with it, it only specifies character set to be used when storing CHAR and VARCHAR2 data types.

Igor Neyman, OCP DBA
ineyman_at_perceptron.com

> Stephen,
>
> I don't know about multi-byte character sets, but I know my French,
German,
> and Italian end users see English. We use the WE8SIO8859P1 character set
all
> over the place. Come to think of it, our Japan office sees keywords in
English

Author: Igor Neyman
  INET: ineyman_at_perceptron.com