RE: POLL: Database to DBA ratio

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 05:58:56 -0800

In our environment, each DBA supports a certain number of databases that are his/her 'primary' databases (all the way from Test/Dev/Accept/Production). The same person is 'secondary' or 'tertiary' for others. We follow a standardized setup (somewhat modified OFA) for *all* of these databases, with standardized, but different, passwords for sys/system/production schema accounts that can be easily 'figured out' by DBA team members. Those are changed routinely! All DBAs are on call all of the time. Every 2 hours the automated paging mechanism/Operations is made 'aware' of who's available via our own DBA Web App, that keeps track of who's in and who's out as well as the 'primary','secondary','tertiary' matrix by database names. This is working great for over 5 years now....

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com