RE: Tablespaces - datafiles

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:09:23 -0800

I don't do this as I'm using Windows but how about this for a suggestion?

get the sum of max sizes from Oracle - via dba_temp_files get the sum of the current sizes from Unix get current free space from Unix of the mount point

Check that (Unix free space + Unix current sizes) - (sum Oracle max sizes) > some acceptable value

I don't know for sure its possible but it seems reasonable to me....

Regards,
Bruce Reardon

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:42:54 -0800

Tom,

Do you have that doc ref handy?

Using this SQL:

create temporary tablespace temp3 tempfile '/u01/oradata/dv03/temp3.dbf' size 500m
extent management local uniform size 1m
/

On both 8.1.7.0 and 9.2.0.1 on RH 7.2 I found that the file was immediately created full size.

Platform dependencies maybe?

Jared

"Mercadante, Thomas F" <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
  03/11/2003 06:19 AM
  Please respond to ORACLE-L

         Subject: RE: Tablespaces - datafiles

LeRoy,

I just struggled with this last week. You can't move Temporary Data files.
You need to drop and recreate the TEMP tablespace - creating the data files
in the correct directories.

On a side note - here is an interesting feature. When Oracle creates files
for the TEMP tablespace, it does not create the files full sized like it does for normal data files. It creates them smaller for speed purposes (it
creates the TEMP tablespace very fast) and will allow the TEMP data files to
grow as needed.

Now here is the kicker. Let's say you have a disk that is 9 gig is size. You can create 10-1 Gig Temp data files on that disk. Since Oracle does not
create the files full-sized, there is nothing to stop this from happening. Sometime later, as the TEMP tablespace gets used, the files grow until eventually the disk fills up, and a sql query crashes with an obscure disk io error. Oracle is trying to expand the TEMP datafiles to the size it's been told they should be. But there is no physical space left on disk.

Documentation in 817 does not mention this. But 92 doc's are up to date.

nice surprise, eh?

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY)
  INET: Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au