RE: POLL: Database to DBA ratio

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:14:26 -0800

I'd twelfth (or whatever number we are upto by now) the comments so far on how it isn't a fair measure. For what its worth we now have 19 Oracle instances and 7 sql server databases, probably 50+ schemas. You can take your pick as to what you mean by database. We have 3 dbas. One thing that does complicate this is that most of the databases get there own server because of the slightly mad project driven way budgets work (like there is no budget for database servers but each team will have a budget for software and hardware).

Sometimes it seems really quiet and stereotypically govt overmanned, othertimes I don't see my daughter awake for a week at a time. What would I say adds to demands on time/efficiency

Rate of change of db
Number of managers interested in using you as a resource Number of servers
Uptime requirements
Rate of development

Niall

Author: Niall Litchfield
  INET: niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com