TAR and Linux info

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 04:48:41 -0800

List,

OS RedHat 7.3
Oeacle 8.1.7 rel3
 I have had a disk failure on my test box and a datafile needs to be recovered from my tape backup. The tape contains 6 large datafiles and I get errors after reading the first one.
 Does anyone know the linux FTP option to --ignore-read-errors? The man command does not list it. I feel that there might be a bad section of tape and I would like to skip it until the next file header.  I am in the process of exporting the data by month from the production server to reload into a recreated datafile if I can't get the tape to work. I would prefer to use the tape restore because the data needed is 3 GIG and will take a long time to exp/imp.  I guess this is what you get when you use scrounged equipment to make a test box to improve your knowledge. It also tests your backup/restore equipment.
Thanks,
Ron

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 12 2003 - 06:48:41 CST