Re: can't create database

From: Christoph Schwerdtfeger <>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 01:28:50 -0800

Am Die, 2003-03-11 um 19.47 schrieb Alan Davey:
> I had the same error message on NT with Oracle 9.2 recently.
> The first problem was that the init_sid.ora file was created a directory different from where the db create scripts were looking for it. The second problem was that one of the init parameters was for Enterprise Edition and I was installing Standard Edition.
> Both problems resulted in the message of 'not connected to oracle'.
> Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a version of the DB Creation wizard work without getting some error.
> --
> Alan Davey
> 718-482-4200 x106
> On 3/11/2003 12:44 PM, Stahlke, Mark <> wrote:
> >RE: LMT monitoring
> >Is this on Linux?
> >If yes, then it sounds like you need to install the glibc stubs patch.
> >If no, then I don't know what the problem might be.

Hi there.

I have a similiar problem with Oracle under Linux (Debian, Woody, Kernel 2.4.20-686-smp).
The installation worked fine - at least no error message was shown, but when I start the dbca to create a database, I get an ORA-03113. I've searched over the internet (newsgroups and webpages), but I didn't find a solution for my problem.
I searched for the libc-patch, but I think it's deprecated for Oracle 9i.
Many ppl said, like you, I just should generate the scripts with the wizard and create the database manually, so I did - or at least I tried.

So, I just wanted to test, if the login works, but it didn't. Is startet "sqlplus /nolog" and tried "connect SYS/change_on_install as SYSDBA" ("conn / as SYSDBA" has the same effect, ORACLE_SID set as said in the script) and I get:

        Connected to an idle instance.

Ok, I think this is just normal and I tried to start the database using "startup nomount pfile="Correct path to init.ora";

And then, all I get is an ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

If I try to do a "conn /" afterwards, I get

	ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
	ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
	Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory

Any suggestions, what could be wrong? I installed the Enterprise Version, so it can't be an Enterprise setting ... it has to be a problem in the "init.ora", right?

System specs if required:
Pentium II, 800 (2x - multi processor)
1024MB RAM
4GB Swap
19GB diskspace free
Debian Linux (woody)
Kernel 2.4.20-686-smp

Any help would be appreciated.

Christoph Schwerdtfeger <>

SoftConcept GmbH
Borriesstrasse 35
D-32257 BŁnde

Tel:    (05223) 4970-20

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
Author: Christoph Schwerdtfeger

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051