Re: Analyzing indexes

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:04:22 -0800

Chuck,

I've been convinced that rebuilding indexes is a waste of time.

In fact, it can cost you time, as rebuilding indexes can kill your peformance while the indexes again seek their 'level'.

Check into at asktom.oracle.com. There's some good examples.

jared

"Chuck Hamilton" <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 03/11/2003 06:30 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Analyzing indexes

I need to determine whether or not a couple of indexes need to be rebuilt. The problem is the indexes are quite large and on a 24x7 high volume database. If I try to run an "analyze validate structure" to gather the data
I need to make that decision, it sets a lock on the table for about an hour
which I can't afford to do. There is no slow time when I can do this and management has said before they're not going to spring for the partitioning
option to break the indexes up into managable pieces. Is there some other way I can get the information needed to determine if an index needs to be rebuilt or not without setting a lock on the table? We are on Oracle 8.1.7.

Author: Chuck Hamilton
  INET: chuckh_at_softhome.net

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 13:04:22 CST