Can't run full exports due to SMON wait

From: Thomas Jeff <jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:52:06 -0800

Running 8.1.7.4 on RS6000/AiX 4.3.3. We noticed this weekend that all our full exports performed via sqlbacktrack for a given database were hanging.

Killing the exports and restarting does not work.

Checking waits, it looks as though the full exports start hanging on buffer busy waits, on the same file/block as SMON, which in turn has been stuck it appears, the entire weekend:

SID  EVENT                    P1TEXT  P1 P2TEXT  P2 P3TEXT     P3
----- ----------------------- ------- ---------- ------------- ---

    5 db file scattered read file# 2 block# 69025 blocks 8

  SID Username         EVENT                   WAIT_TIME STATE
SECONDS_IN_WAIT
----- ---------------- ----------------------- ----------------
---------------
    5                  db file scattered read  0 WAITING        246544

SID O/S User        MACHINE              Program
----- --------------- -------------------- -------------------------
    5 oracle          indysdb02            oracle_at_indysdb02 (SMON)

SQL_TEXT

select i.obj#, i.flags, u.name, o.name from sys.obj$ o, sys.user$ u, sys.ind$ i where (bitand(i.flags, 256) = 256
or bitand(i.flags, 512) = 512)
and (not((i.type# = 9) and bitand(i.flags,8) = 8)) and o.obj#=i.obj# and o.owner# = u.user#

Before we resort to a bounce, I'm hoping that someone here may have seen this
before, or at least, have some idea as to what's going on with SMON.

TIA.

Jeffery D Thomas
DBA
Thomson Information Services
Thomson, Inc.

Email: jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net

Indy DBA Master Documentation available at: http://gkmqp.tce.com/tis_dba
Select 'Indy DBA' then 'DBA Web Pages'

As of February 12, 2003 Thomson unified its email addresses on a worldwide basis. Please note my new email address: jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net

Thomson is the leader in solutions and technologies for the entertainment and media industries and serves its customers under its four strategic brands: Technicolor, Grass Valley, RCA and THOMSON. More about Thomson: http://www.thomson.net/videochain

Author: Thomas Jeff
  INET: jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 11 2003 - 11:52:06 CST