Re: Oracle Development Suite for Linux?

From: Alex Andriyashchenko <Oleksandr_A_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:14:06 -0800

RS> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 08:28:50PM -0800, Charles Hart wrote:
>> I installed 9.2 on redhat 8.0 with great luck. I installed on a 700 PC
>> with 756 megs of memory. I was using forms 6i running on NT client and
>> could not tell when I was pointed at this instance verus one running on a
>> HP machine. The document I found that was helpful in the install was
>> http://otn.oracle.com/tech/linux/pdf/installtips_final.pdf

RS> I believe the real problems where with 8i on a 2.4 kernel.  There is a
RS> miss-match is the glibc versions used for the kernel and oracle.  What
RS> a mess.  This seemed to work on 8.1.7-rh7.1 combination.  rh7.1 is the
RS> last free version in the support matrix if that matters.

RS> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Oracle8-on-RH7X-HOWTO-3.html

RS> On an error with a 9.0 install:

RS> Error when invoking ..../9.0/plsql/lib/ins_plsql.mk RS> Doc ID: 197301.995

OK Lads, there are good responses. Thank you.

Just clarify something...
I have installed Oracle Database Server 9.2.0.1 on RH 7.3 without any major problems as well. Now I look at Application Server and Development Tools (such as Forms and Reports). I see 2 options for me: Linux (preferable) or Windows.

It will be "test" installation - performance is not an issue. The main call for me is time I spent to get it work.

Is Linux installation is more time consumed than Windows now (before it took more time and involved more complex procedure to get it working under Linux)?

--
Best regards,
 Alex                            mailto:Oleksandr_A_at_yahoo.co.uk

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Author: Alex Andriyashchenko
  INET: Oleksandr_A_at_yahoo.co.uk