RE: ``SQL*Net message to client`` Wait event with no SQL*Net

From: Andy Rivenes <arivenes_at_llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 15:05:54 -0800

I think the point that was missed here is that there are two types of SQL*Net connections possible. These are connections made through local or remote protocols. For local protocols, connections can be made with the "bequeath" adapter which does not require a listener connection, or an IPC adapter which will use a listener connection. For remote protocols, typically TCP is used and are always through a listener connection.

At 01:19 PM 3/10/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I'm not sure we're hitting the nail on this one. Just a sqlplus
>user/password locally should not use the listener because it works when
>the listener is stopped.
>
><<< JayMiller_at_TDWaterhouse.com 3/10 1:31p >>>
>Thanks Lisa, but I already checked that.
>
>I used to think this as well. But according to Rachel and Tom the listener
>is apparently used even if the @sid is not present.
>
>Glad I wasn't the only one laboring under that misapprehension :)
>
>Jay

Andy Rivenes
arivenes_at_llnl.gov

Author: Andy Rivenes