Re: deadlock problem

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:09:18 -0800

If you want to pin down why the deadlock is occurring, Here's an approach that Stefane Faroult suggested to me a couple of years ago.

Connect as sys, and create a pair of DDL triggers that log the contents of x$kgllk and x$kglpn before and after truncate - then reconnect as the relevant user and try the truncate again.

A 4020 is likely to be due to a request for a pin (x$kglpn) in exclusive mode when 'something else' is already holding the pin in non-null mode. This may help you to track down what object is causing the problem, and where.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now available One-day tutorials:
  Cost Based Optimisation
  Trouble-shooting and Tuning
  Indexing Strategies

(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____UK_______April 8th
____UK_______April 22nd

____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next dates for the 3-day seminar:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____UK_(Manchester)_May
____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

> I am trying to do a TRUNCATE TABLE My_Table but keep getting this
error;

> A self-deadlock among DDL and parse locks
> is detected. In most cases, this self-deadlock
> is handled internally.
> This should be reported to Oracle Support
> ONLY IF an error is signalled back to the
> user on a command-line or screen.
> The following information may aid in finding
> the problem.
> ORA-04020: deadlock detected while trying to lock object
DFARNSWORTH.REGION_ZIPS

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk