RE: deadlock problem

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:04:32 -0800

>I am trying to do a TRUNCATE TABLE My_Table but
>keep getting this error;
>
>A self-deadlock among DDL and parse locks
>is detected. In most cases, this self-deadlock
>is handled internally.
>This should be reported to Oracle Support
>ONLY IF an error is signalled back to the
>user on a command-line or screen.
>The following information may aid in finding
>the problem.
>ORA-04020: deadlock detected while trying to lock
>object DFARNSWORTH.REGION_ZIPS
>
>This is in my test environment and there should not
>be anything else locking the table. Any ideas??
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dave

Dave,

  I think that the reference to a 'self-deadlock' is an implicit recognition by Oracle that nothing else is locking the table ...   Is the table a dumb, plain, regular table ? Not an IOT, by chance ? No self-referencing FK ? No DDL trigger ? (... running out of ideas ...)

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole

Author: Stephane Faroult