RE: Oracle on a SAN.... Good, Bad or Proceed with caution?

From: Brian Dunbar <Brian.Dunbar_at_Plexus.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 08:08:37 -0800

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 4:44 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

NetApp SAN?

My understanding of NetApps was that is strictly NAS: Network Attached Storage.

Basically, JBOD with NIC.

SAN's offer quite a few more management and configuration options than NAS. Jared

>There is a lot more to NetApp's Filer than JBOD with a NIC. We looked at
both - SAN and NAS as done by NetApp .... one year later we're sold on NetApp. NetApp has all of the management/DR features we'll need, and some of the NetApp specific features have saved our collective tails on a few occasions.

YMMV, but for an organization that's our size, SAN was overkill.

brian<

Author: Brian Dunbar
  INET: Brian.Dunbar_at_Plexus.com