RE: monitor transactions over time

From: Deshpande, Kirti <kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 19:14:25 -0800

>From what I know Oracle Development folks have identified the code changes to correct this problem. Just do not when Oracle would issue the patch. Since the bug was logged against 9i R2, patch would be provided.

This bug was originally logged in Aug 2002. There was no follow up.

The other issue with v$undostat view is that it does not work in Manual Undo Mode. Forget using it while in Manual Undo Management mode to monitor your undo usage to size undo tablespace accordingly. Forget what the documents, white papers say. Some of them are 'syntactically' correct in saying, "This view is available in Automatic and Manual Undo Management mode." Yes, that is true. The view is available in MUM mode. But, it returns one useless row in 9i R1 and nothing in 9i R2. I was told by Oracle Development that it did not work in 9i R1, in MUM mode, so they simply changed it to return nothing in 9i Rel 2. Hmmm... wonder if I followed this principle for some of the bugs in our Applications......... ;)

 I will talk about this, and a few other things, in my Quick Tips Sessions, on AUM and FBQ, at the IOUG Conf next month.

Author: Deshpande, Kirti
  INET: kirti.deshpande_at_verizon.com