Re: Oracle on a SAN.... Good, Bad or Proceed with caution?

From: Darrell Landrum <dlandrum_at_zalecorp.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:19:22 -0800

Amen! For several years we heard from EMC reps, don't worry about it, don't worry about it, then recently we we're given a white paper from EMC on striping for Oracle.

>>> chuckh_at_softhome.net 03/07/03 09:43AM >>>
SAN is fine as long as you keep track of what's mapping to what physical disks. I for one don't believe the SAN vendors that say their caching takes care of performance for you and you don't need to worry about where data is stored physically. Place datafiles the same way you would for local storage and you will do well - striped, with data, indexes, temp, and rollback physically separated.

> Hello,
>
> We are currently spec'ing out hardware for our new ERP system. It is
> either going to be Peoplesoft or Oracle. We are also debating on using a
> SAN rather than attached storage. I'm just looking for any
> positives/negatives/rules of thumb I should be aware of when running
Oracle

Author: Chuck Hamilton
  INET: chuckh_at_softhome.net

Author: Darrell Landrum