Re: RMAN resync of catalog to controlfile

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:23:36 -0800

Joe,

Thinking outside the box a little...

How about if you query the recovery catalog views on RMAN repository database, using a technique of "SQL-generating-RMAN"?

Connecting to the recovery catalog database, you could query the RC_BACKUP_CONTROLFILE view to generate a series of CATALOG CONTROLFILECOPY commands, query the RC_BACKUP_DATAFILE view to generate a series of CATALOG DATAFILECOPY commands, and query the RC_BACKUP_REDOLOG view to generate a series of CATALOG ARCHIVELOG commands. Of course, you'd have to join all these views to RC_BACKUP_SETS and RC_BACKUP_PIECES in order to get the actual filenames/file handle-names as well, so query wouldn't be quite trivial, but nothing too crazy.

So, your queries in SQL*Plus against the RMAN recovery catalog database would spool out a script of RMAN commands. Then exit SQL*Plus and connect to RMAN in NOCATALOG mode to run the generated commands against the target database.

I'd be concerned about the after-effect of doing this when you finally do a subsequent RESYNC CATALOG, but until I get a chance to test this sometime next week, perhaps some enterprising soul might consider giving it a try in a test environment?

What do you think?

-Tim

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com