Re: Oracle Internet File System -- Oracle Taketh Away?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 16:04:04 -0800

An interesting feature of partition views in Oracle 9.

If you create a thing that matches the requirement for an old v7 partition view, and set the parameter

    partition_views_enabled = FALSE

You still find that partition elimination can occur, better than it used to in v7, and the execution plan will have the line VIEW (PARTITION) just like the good old days.

So in this case, partition views seem to be deprecated because they aren't special any more. (But roll on v10)

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials:
Cost Based Optimisation
Trouble-shooting and Tuning
Indexing Strategies
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html )

____UK_______March 19th
____UK_______April 8th
____UK_______April 22nd

____USA_(FL)_May 2nd

Next Seminar dates:
(see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )

____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

The Oracle readme files for quite a while have mentioned the demise of partition views and encouraged uses of such to move to the partitioning option. I had always wondered if when the view support was pulled whether the option would then be free. My assumption was that it would. Now I am very unsure.

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk