RE: Oracle Internet File System -- Oracle Taketh Away?

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 12:09:34 -0800

With apologies to Tom Leherer

"The project will be a big success
The files accessed through OCS"

There is a very large difference between what's possibly happening with iFS and editions and options. It has always cost more for the "Enterprise Edition". The spatial option has always cost more to license. Here a product which was free with the EE 8.1.7 release requires licensing 9 iAS for a newer release, and licensing Collaboration Suite for the newest release of all. If the last sentence is true, I am disgusted.

We have built our own system for storing and searching conference presentations, physics papers, and the like based on BLOBS, Intermedia, and our own metadata and Oracle iAS. It has been very well received. When I began the negotiations with the user community to upgrade and apply the necessary security patches. The main objections were from users of the system. For example

 2) Early March is an extremely poor choice for an outage of the BaBar

      Publications Database.  This is the height of the spring conference
      season and we will be using it to distribute papers for the
      La Thuile conference and both Moriond conferences in March:

        17th Les Rencontres De Physique De La Vallee D'Aoste: Results
          And Perspectives In Particle Physics, 9-15 Mar 2003, La Thuile,
          Aosta Valley, Italy, SPIRES Conf Num: C03/03/09.1,

        38th Rencontres De Moriond On Electroweak Interactions And
          Unified Theories, 15-22 Mar 2003, Les Arcs, France,
          SPIRES Conf Num: C03/03/15.1,

      and

        38th Rencontres De Moriond On QCD And High-Energy Hadronic
          Interactions, 22-29 Mar 2003, Les Arcs, Savoie, France,
          SPIRES Conf Num: C03/03/22.3.
The system is being used solely by our Bfactory collaboration looking at CP violation. Another group working on the Gamma-ray Large Area Space Telescope is also keenly interested and are very close to dropping their commercially built system. Our main Technical Publications department is also interested.

There are questions on whether the home-built system can provide all that is needed. Of course no specifications have been released! Poducts, however are being put through an initial filtering process. I mentioned OCS with the caveat that I would be wary of any first release from Oracle. I also apprised people of iFS noting my belief that iFS was free to us. I may now have to retract that statement saying it is free now, but in the future we'll need to purchase OCS licenses.

What of the people using iFS now in part because it was free for them? Will they need to license OCS? If one purchases OCS is Oracle going to say in another couple of years that yet another product is needed?

The Oracle readme files for quite a while have mentioned the demise of partition views and encouraged uses of such to move to the partitioning option. I had always wondered if when the view support was pulled whether the option would then be free. My assumption was that it would. Now I am very unsure.

BTW the security patches were applied :)

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Sranford.edu

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

This  e-mail   message,  and  any  files  transmitted   with  it, are
confidential  and intended  solely for the  use of the  addressee. If this message was not addressed to  you, you have received it in error and any  copying,  distribution  or  other use  of any part  of it is strictly prohibited. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the sender and do not  necessarily represent  those of the British Geological  Survey. The  security of e-mail  communication  cannot be guaranteed and the BGS  accepts no liability  for claims arising as a result of the use of this medium to  transmit messages from or to the BGS. The BGS cannot accept any responsibility  for viruses, so please
scan all attachments.                            http://www.bgs.ac.uk

Author: Robson, Peter
  INET: pgro_at_bgs.ac.uk

Author: MacGregor, Ian A.