remote / as sysdba

From: <becker.bill_at_marshfieldclinic.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 11:08:41 -0800

Hello,

env: Oracle 9.2.0.2 on Solaris 9.

Does anyone know of a way to use the "/ as sysdba" logon remotely?
(to a separate Oracle instance on a separate machine)

Other remote user logons work OK.

I have tried several variations from sqlplus, such as

BECKERB_at_DWS>connect /@DWQ as sysdba
ERROR:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.

BECKERB_at_DWS>connect sys/sys_password_at_DWQ as sysdba ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

BECKERB_at_DWS>connect sys/exr_sys as sysdba_at_DWQ SP2-0306: Invalid option.

BECKERB_at_DWS>connect sys/sys_password_at_DWQ ERROR:
ORA-28009: connection to sys should be as sysdba or sysoper

I also find I cannot even "connect sys/syspassword" locally:

BECKERB_at_DWS>connect sys/sys_password
ERROR:
ORA-28009: connection to sys should be as sysdba or sysoper

This does work locally, but not remotely:

BECKERB_at_DWS>connect sys/sys_password as sysdba Connected.

I am a member of the dba group on both platforms.

I have verified that I am using the correct sys_password for sys on the remote instance.

Eventually, I want to do a remote transportable tablespace import, where the userid would be listed in a parfile; I have tried the same logons in a parfile, and that also fails.

I found a Metalink doc that says the O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY (sp?) must be true to do this, but the same doc strongly advises against setting this to true.

So, has anyone found a way to use the "/ as sysdba" logon remotely?
(without setting the O7 parameter to true)

Thanks to any responders.

  INET: becker.bill_at_marshfieldclinic.org