Re: Tricky SQL Question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:44:00 -0800

Thinking back to university days, I think this was called the knapsack problem, and at the time there was no algorithm guaranteed to give an optimal solution.

If there is no simple non-procedural algorithm - how about a strategy that simply allows each slave to take the longest task that has not yet been run until there are no jobs left to run ?

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon one-day tutorials: