8i databases under 9i listener?

From: Thomas Jeff <jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 05:04:40 -0800

RS6000 running AIX 4.3.3. We are experiencing the following issues with our 8.1.7.4 databases under a 9.2.0.1 listener.

  1. PL/SQL procedures utilizing UTL_FILE fail with INVALID_PATH errors when attempting to open a file.
  2. Database links from WE8ISO8859P1 databases to UTF8 databases fail with ORA-3113. Database links work fine as long as the character set is the same on both databases.

We've checked, and double-check, all environment variables, O/S permissions, and so forth. Oracle Support has been basically useless. Eventually, they stated that these problems are unique to the AIX platform, and not something
that they've seen on HP or Solaris, and recommended running both the 8i and 9i listeners, in other words, they had no clue.

The sequence of events went like this:

Feb 7th -- 9.2.0.1 was installed on our test/development box, on which there

             are eight 8.1.7.4 instances running.

Feb 14th -- We startup the 9i listener and shutdown the 8i listener.

Feb 21st -- First upgrade of an 8.1.7.4 database to 9.2.0.1. The upgrade was

             successful.

The funny thing is that none of the 8.1.7.4 databases had any problems with the
9i listener from Feb 14th to Feb 21st, either with UTL_FIL or with database links.

But on Feb 21st, after the first 9.2.0.1 database upgrade, the 9i listener was
bounced for the first time since it's inception, and then all the problems started.

We are back to running both an 8i and 9i listener for the time being, but I have
a lurking suspicion that something is not right somewhere, and could come back
and bite us in the future.

Jeffery D Thomas
DBA
Thomson Information Services
Thomson, Inc.

Email: jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net

Indy DBA Master Documentation available at: http://gkmqp.tce.com/tis_dba
Select 'Indy DBA' then 'DBA Web Pages'

As of February 12, 2003 Thomson unified its email addresses on a worldwide basis. Please note my new email address: jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net

Thomson is the leader in solutions and technologies for the entertainment and media industries and serves its customers under its four strategic brands: Technicolor, Grass Valley, RCA and THOMSON. More about Thomson: http://www.thomson.net/videochain

Author: Thomas Jeff
  INET: jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 05 2003 - 07:04:40 CST