RE: Listener Hangs

From: <Govind.Arumugam_at_alltel.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 11:22:29 -0800

This is how you can clean up listener.log w/o taking the listener down.

You can copy the listener.log to an archive location, then do the following:

cat "/dev/null" and redirect to listener.log file. This will zero the current file and allow other updates to the log from the listener to continue.

eg: cp listener.log wherever.log
cat /dev/null > listener.log

ls -l listener.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle 0 Apr 5 13:22 listener.log
lsnrctl status
ls -l listener.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 oracle 160 Apr 5 13:22 listener.log

Here you can see the listener.log files gets emptied. Doing a 'status' command on the listener you can see the current tnslsnr process continues to write to the file.

By redirecting the output of an empty file '/dev/null' or using a file that may contain the last 100 lines of the Listener and redirecting to the "listener.log", you keep the same inode value that tnslsnr process uses to write to the "listener.log".

The key is not to remove or move the current "listener.log" while the tnslsnr process is running. It is ok to copy the file for historical records.

Author: <Govind.Arumugam_at_alltel.com
  INET: Govind.Arumugam_at_alltel.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 04 2003 - 13:22:29 CST