RE: Duplicate online Database

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 07:19:35 -0800

The last time I had a UNIX SA backup an open database the backup software locked a control file just as Oracle was trying to write a checkpoint. Crashed the database and left the database unopenable. Fortunately (or per Oracle's recommendation) we had multiple copies of the control file and we just copied a good version over the corrupted one. Database worked fine after that.

Personally I would never recommend backing up an open database and, if that were to happen, I would consider that backup to be a 'scratch' tape.

                      "david davis"
                      <ddoralist               To:      Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      @hotmail.com>            cc:
                      Sent by: root            Subject: RE: Duplicate online Database

                      03/04/2003 09:49
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to ORACLE-L

I would never want to rely on that method. I had run into that several years
ago (Y2K), a Unix Admin had backed up a server and restored to a test machine. Oracle wasn't shutdown at the time of the filesystem backup. The problems were numerous because of checkpoint information in the datafiles vs
the control files were out of whack. The database was garbage.

You got real lucky to have a database you could even start.

David

Author: david davis
  INET: ddoralist_at_hotmail.com

Author: Thomas Day