RE: Listener/Database shutdown sequence

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 14:34:01 -0800

OK, after emphatically stating it doesn't matter, I thought of a situation in which the order of shutting down could make a difference.

In this scenario, you first must be the kind of person who needlessly insists on shutdown immediate (instead of abort). Second, you must have a very heavy rate of incoming connections, such as from a huge user base or many many webservers. Finally, you must be CPU bound.

If you try to shutdown immediate, any activity, such as rolling back transactions and deallocating temp segments, that must complete before the shutdown completes, will have cycles stolen away by a needlessly spinning listener(s) that is just rejecting connections, one after another.

So, in such a case, listener first, then database.

But shutdown immediate is for wimps. Just shoot DBW0 in the head with a SIGKILL. ;-)

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Jeremiah Wilton INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).