Re: Import Problem

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 13:14:11 -0800

Scott,

Try using screen. It is a piece of software using virtual tty 's.

I began using it in 1994 to avoid just such problems.

It gives you some unique capabilities. Start a process from one client, goto another client, detach and re-attach there.

eg. start a job at home in a terminal window, goto work, and attach the screen there.

And since it is running on the server itself, losing the network connection, your PC crashing, etc, does not interrupt your job.

It is installed by default on some versions of Linux.

http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/screen.html

HTH Jared

Scott Canaan <srcdco_at_ritvax.rit.edu>
Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
 03/03/2003 09:08 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Import Problem

    I ran into a problem yesterday afternoon. I had exported a production database, via a full database export, and ftp'd it to another machine to import it there and make that the new production machine. It was a long import (about 8 hours) and about 2/3 through it, my network connection was dropped. I was running it in a ssh shell. When the connection disappeared, the import died. Since I had to get the job done by morning, I chose to drop the database, rebuild it, then re-import. That worked.

    What I am wondering is: Is there a way to resume an import, once it has been interrupted? I have been looking in metalink and on the net and haven't found anything that says how to do it. I tried technet, but it was way too slow. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

--

Scott Canaan (srcdco_at_rit.edu)
(585) 475-7886

Author: Scott Canaan
  INET: srcdco_at_ritvax.rit.edu

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Mar 03 2003 - 15:14:11 CST