RE: MS SQL hasn't given up!

From: <John.Whelan_at_statcan.ca>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 10:54:46 -0800

 Just a personal comment, we run both Microsoft SQL databases and Oracle databases about 60 servers in each. The organisation is project driven for that read small independent kingdoms. The impression I have is that the Windows 2000 operating system is fairly stable, especially when run on Compaq Proliant servers. As an example of stability I have an NT 4 server running SQL server 6.5 that had been running continuously for more than a year, normally 80 concurrent users from a pool of 500-600 including data entry and big ad-hoc queries against databases that were are as large as 15 gigs. Some of the Unix boxes we have unfortunately do not even have a virus scanner available. They seem to depend on "we are such a small market share no one will ever target us". Oracle is also reducing the number of operating systems it supports in the newer releases, some of ours will never go beyond 8.1.7.

 We have used Microsoft Premier support and we have found them easy to contact and very professional. I find supporting multiple versions of Oracle on multiple versions and flavours of UNIX to be a little complex sometimes. I'd prefer not to talk about the ease with which we can get CDs from Oracle or the features of Metalink that no longer work because of the number of CSIs we have. Have you noticed how many people get a stable configuration running in Oracle then don't like to upgrade? How many actually move to the next version before the terminal release?

 If you have the chance to play with Microsoft SQL server have a look at the DTS part of it. Another interesting feature is the Index tuning wizard, very effect. The query optimiser which takes your SQL query and works out the optimal way to run is a feature I am impressed with. The other is internal memory management. If you aren't using something why allocate fixed memory to it. I'd like to see these features incorporated in Oracle.

 Microsoft has three modes for the transaction log. Simple, just write enough to be able to back out this transaction, same as the redo log file except it can extend if required, Full normal transaction log file, and Bulk load which is the normal transaction log file but with reduced more optimised logging when you use a bulk insert command. Note that because simple requires you to delete the transaction from the transaction log there is not the same performance gain as in Oracle when you don't copy the transactions from the redo log file to the archive log file and for those of us who regularly see redo log file errors in Oracle SQL Server seems to generate fewer errors.

 Generally speaking the problem today is not hardware faults but rather software faults or finger problems. These tend to require point in time restores. You first backup the transaction log then restore the database from a full backup reapplying the transactions from the log file usually to a point in time. I recommend for the majority of our work backing up the transaction file each evening and a full backup once a week. Backing up the transaction log every 30 minutes seems a bit excessive. Note because the transaction log must normally be present to start the database I recommend putting the transaction log on some sort of reliable RAID. The database isn't quite so important you can always restore it but the transaction log must be protected to ensure no loss of data. Also when you back up the transaction log the default behaviour is to truncate it at the same time.

 Performance is pretty much dependant on the disk subsystem these days we just hook every thing up to a fairly large SAN and rely on that. I think HPUX is moving to the 64 bit Intel chip as is Microsoft Windows and SQL Server. To be honest how many databases really push the limits of a computer these days? If you want to go chasing performance have a look at the perfmon in Windows, totally integrated with SQL Server and the operating system.

 You can actually layout the database files yourself if you want to in SQL Server but with a SAN I usually recommend having two lungs one with the database on it and the other with the transaction log. The SAN usually keeps track of the traffic moving highly active databases to the faster disk dives and the ones that aren't used very often to the slower drives. It also spreads out the database over multiple spindles to optimise performance.

 Cost, well I wanted to have a couple of servers for an application that had to be up, i.e. two servers. The Proliant cost was about $6,000 per server plus SAN. The SUN cost was $28,000 plus SAN. If you have access to the Gartner reports they have done some comparative costs by the way. We have a number of projects who have moved to Oracle on Windows and been very pleased with the results from a cost point of view.

 Existing applications will remain with us for quite a long time which means Oracle will be with us for quite a time to come. The new work is tending more and more to be Microsoft .NET / SQL server based. This in turn creates problems because a year ago it was easy to find a recruit internally who wanted to work as an Oracle DBA these days it is becoming much more difficult. We still do new Oracle development and those projects usually go in very well. Probably because we have consolidated our experienced Oracle developers into one or two areas that have a large commitment to Oracle and their experience helps the projects.

 Cheerio John

Author: david davis
  INET: ddoralist_at_hotmail.com

command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

command for other information (like subscribing).
  INET: John.Whelan_at_statcan.ca