RE: MS SQL hasn't given up!

From: STEVE OLLIG <sollig_at_lifetouch.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:49:28 -0800

no problem Rich. the transaction log mirroring can be done by the DBMS. and SQueal Server has disk devices much like a tablespace that can be placed on different disks and such. transaction logs are kind of like tables in that they must be placed in a device. so yes, these mirrored transaction logs can be kept apart and "safe".

Rachel's comment is also accurate however. if things go way wrong (usually happens to a novice dba) the transaction log can get stuffed so full that there's no way to "archive" it and you end up "truncating" it. users tend not to like it when they can't do DML ;-) anyway, once a transaction log has been truncated there is no transaction recovery until the next database backup completes. and yes - the database backup utility does hot backups.

Author: STEVE OLLIG
  INET: sollig_at_lifetouch.com