Re: MS SQL hasn't given up!

From: david davis <ddoralist_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:04:32 -0800

Sorry but point 7 isn't exactly true.

Transaction logging does take place and can be backed up for reapplication to a database backup.

Its not perhaps as well implemented as Oracle's but I have a system with the transaction log backed up every 30 minutes.

The implementation is different but the effect is the same with the ability to do point in time recovery. And they do have log shipping capability in SQL Server 2000 (Enterprise).

The point that really bothered me was the lack of multiplexing the writes to the transaction logs (redo). DB2/UDB has it. The MSS method (only option) is to Mirror.

David

Author: david davis
  INET: ddoralist_at_hotmail.com