RE: MS SQL hasn't given up!

From: Boyle Candi <candi.boyle_at_siemens.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:33:46 -0800

The major misconception is that open source is free (As in no charge, al la "Free beer"). This this not the case. It is free, as in you can see the source code, play with it, and distribute it. However, you need support, maintenance, etc. This is where the costs are.

My company uses Linux for production servers. We didn't move to it strictly because of cost. We moved to it for freedom and flexibility
(as opposed to being tied to IBM support contracts). We have paid for 5
people to undergo training and certification and pay for licenses for RedHat Advanced Server. It is worth every penny to not have to schedule weekly reboots of the servers (which the networking group, running windoze, has to). It is also priceless to no longer have IBM telling us that merely considering touching the RS6000 violates our support contract.

-Candi

Proud user of Evolution mail client on a linux box running KDE... and vmware for windows

Author: Boyle Candi
  INET: candi.boyle_at_siemens.com