RE: MS SQL hasn't given up!

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 04:59:18 -0800

www.opensource.org and other sites (The Register) and www.globetechnology.com (Globe & Mail's technology news site) mentioned that MS considers LINUX a threat.

Last week I attended an OS security class where each student had two PCs, one was a Windows2000 machine, one was a LINUX machine. The LINUX machine came with Gnome, which doesn't look all that bad. I would argue that the LINUX GUI needs a bit of streamlining but you can see that it has dramatically improved.

LINUX still has software compatibility problems, the courseware referred to a LINUX configuration program that (for some unknown reason) wouldn't work on our LINUX machines.

The LINUX machines seemed to have older hardware, I have the impression that they were the ones the training center had "replaced and upgraded" to Windows2000, but now had turned around and were using them for teaching OS security on LINUX. Speed was comparable.

The irony is that as LINUX becomes more streamlined, vendors start charging for it... Will there be a meeting in the middle of open source OS and Windows? If Microsoft has to reduce its prices for Windows, how will it maintain its revenue growth?

Advanced LINUX is not free either, I don't know how its price compares with the Windows2000 offering though.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date:       2/27/2003 11:26 AM

For your amusement, MS thinks they can "now" equal Oracle in performance
(wasn't that what they claimed 3 years ago?).
Anyway, I tend to think of these benchmarks like the NASCAR winners. Yeah I'm going to go by a Chrysler because it won the NASCAR championship.

http://www.entmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=5707 <http://www.entmag.com/news/article.asp?EditorialsID=5707>

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Stephane Paquette INET: stephane.paquette_at_standardlife.ca Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L
also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Boivin, Patrice J INET: BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L