Re: Oracle Performance Tuning Exam

From: Chip <ocp-dba_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 20:23:49 -0800

Depends on the path chosen to Oracle 9i DBA OCP: 1A) Pass the 5 Oracle 8i OCP DBA exams, then pass the Oracle 9i DBA OCP upgrade exam (total of 6 exams, but still does not need an Oracle Univeristy course)
Note: if Oracle retires the Oracle8i DBA exams like the Oracle 8 DBA exams, they would be available until May 2004 (5 months after Error Correction End Support).

2A) Pass 2 exams for Oracle 9i DBA OCA (Associate), 2B) Pass 2 more exams and attend an Oracle Univeristy course (unless an Oracle 9i DBA OCP exam was passed before Sep 1, 2002)

http://www.oracle.com/education/certification/index.html?certpaths.html has the certification path information (Oracle has promised to publish changes 6 months before implementation)

The Oracle 9i DBA OCM (Master) requires Oracle 9i DBA OCP, 2 advanced DBA courses from Oracle Univeristy, and passing a 2 day hands-on exam (using Oracle on Red-Hat Linux). While I agree with the continuing education requirement, I disagree that Oracle University is the ONLY place that offers high quality advanced DBA education. I wish Oracle would count the Hotsos Symposium 2003 (and future Hotsos Symposiums as a meeting the Master education requirement). In my meager experience of Oracle conferences, the Hotsos Symposium has been the best education value.

Since my employer won't pay for OCM (cutting training budget again), I would rather attend several conferences (and learn from many fine people on this list) than spend $ 4,000 to $ 7,000+ pursuing 9i DBA OCM.

Realistically, OCP DBA only validates that someone can read and memorize; I passed 3 of my 4 certifications without hands-on experience using that version of Oracle. The exams validated I had spent some time learning the terminology of new features, but offer no indication that I know how to use them. As more hairs turn gray (silver), I can appreciate why experience is needed and valued. Also, certification does show an employer serious interest in becoming a DBA.

Have Fun :)
OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, & 9i (yea yea I got the paper and the plastic, but this list is far more educational and fun)

Author: Chip
  INET: ocp-dba_at_earthlink.net