Re: Fwd: RE: newbie dba question - another try

From: Viktor <stant_98_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 19:38:41 -0800

Thanks Darell! Your advice as well as from others is greatly appreciated.

 Darrell Landrum <dlandrum_at_zalecorp.com> wrote:Reply to ///Thanks very much to everyne!
I should've told you, first mistake sorry, that this is ORACLE 8.0.6 - can I run STATSPACK? Or should I stick with bstat/estat? I will be running stats during times when performance is normal nomal. But what steps in identifying the slowdowns in performace should be taken WHILE the issue is hot and users are on the horn with it? Obviously, they want FAST fix, magic stick. Their thinking is that there is a switch you turn on and that's it you're going fast again. Is there something that can be done in a short time window while the issue is present? Thanks again!
"Godlewski, Melissa" wrote:Alex, My 2 cents, First you need to get a baseline of performance during normal business hours, statspak is a great tool to use. When the system start to experience performance problems, then start drilling down to identify the issues. Use v$ tables as well as statspak more frequently. Additionally, when you find the sessions causing problems pull the sql and work with the developer to tune it, or identify hot objects you need to manage. Run the 10046 trace on the sessions and collect information on the waits etc. A good place to look is the www.orafaq.com for past list comments/information. A helpful book is Oracle 101 performance tuning by Gaja, Kirti, and John. You can also go to the hotsos site and run your reports through the YAPP to help identify bottlenecks. LOLM.Godlewski- ///

Alex,
Melissa has some good advice here. Your issue is too vague and broad for any reasonable assistance. It seems you're kind of in a trial by fire situation. There are so many things you need to look at and know for trouble shooting performance that, without more information, the most likely offering is a book(s). Unless someone has specifically backported statspack, it is only available from 8.1.6 forward, so you're stuck with bstat/estat. I haven't read Oracle 101 performance tuning, but I saw Gaja speak at the hotsos symposium and based on that would second Melissa's recommendation for this book. Also, "Expert One-on-One" by Tom Kyte and "Practical Oracle 8i" by Jonathan Lewis (I know it says 8i and you're on 8.0, but there are a lot of concepts and applications the same or similar.) There are probably many other good books which I haven't read. Some sites you should get into very soon (in any order)...

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
http://asktom.oracle.com
http://www.hotsos.com

In the meantime, try and get some traces of troublesome sessions and post those to the list, as well as any stat reports, and we'll offer what help we can. Also, please include any platform information you can get (operating system, etc.). Are your tables getting analyzed?

Folks on the list weren't ignoring you, there just wasn't enough information to get started. We'll try not to let you have to deal with this alone. Good luck!

Darrell Landrum

>>> newbie_dba_at_yahoo.com 02/27/03 05:53PM >>>

Note: forwarded message attached.

Do you Yahoo!?
Author: Darrell Landrum
INET: dlandrum_at_zalecorp.com