RE: RE: Dealing with 3rd Party Applications

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:49:13 -0800

Dick

   You make some excellent points. I had a vendor recently that supplied scripts to import everything under SYS. In that case I spent some time loading their schema into a test database then exporting it again so I could import it harmlessly into a non-SYS schema on production.

   I think it is the DBA's responsibility to monitor these situations and sometimes put a stake in the ground and say "no".

   But other times it helps to try and understand how the application works with Oracle. When I worked for a vendor sometimes I would get a call from a DBA whose sensibilities were offended by our architecture, somebody that just seemed to want to rant. Like I'm going to run down the hall to the wood-paneled offices and say "we've been SOOOO stupid!!". Yes, there were architectural limitations with our approach, but it worked satisfactorily and the company would have had to rewrite vast amounts of code to change. If the person was willing to calm down and listen I could probably have been really helpful. Sometimes I talked to a DBA that had closely read our documentation and actually learned from someone out there dealing with our product, besides being able to give them some tips that helped them a great deal. There is a difference between writing code and managing a large amount of data :-)

   Oh well, we are about to purchase our first app in quite a few years, so I'll see how my theories work out. It is E.piphany, so if any of you use that, PLEASE write me.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date:       2/26/2003 3:44 PM

Dick - I would like to point out the reason the vendors don't have good Oracle people working their help desk. You would be quite qualified -- would you be willing to work the help desk? I'll bet not! Neither would I. So those best qualified for a job won't take it . . . hmmm.

   Then the other part is that the help desk represents one of the vendor's biggest expenses. If it is not well managed, the company can easily go broke. So they have to make sure everyone is overloaded and underpaid. Development is a different situation because a top developer can build you a better mousetrap that will put you ahead of your competitors. Better help desk people are good, but then the word gets out and every novice calls them directly with their RTFM questions. If I've offended someone on the list that works a help desk, my apologies. We need you, especially the good ones and often you go beyond the call of duty.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: "Eberhard; Jeff" <Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com>
Date:       2/26/2003 12:43 PM

Hi,

So my boss comes over this morning and tells me that the users are having a performance problem with a 3rd party application that have recently began using. This is an oracle database where they bought the software and had the system admin install the software which included the vendors instruction of creating and setting up the database (basically use the defaults). It is an Oracle 8.1.7 database on Windows 2000. He wants me to find out "if you can create some indexes or something", etc. (he likes to give solutions before the cause if discovered).

Anyway, I decide to take a look at it. The performance they are complaining about is when they log into the application it takes about a minute for their initial screen (which includes a list of values) to appear. I use the tool that someone posted here a while ago, SQL Monitor from www.fastalgo.com, and find that during the time the user is waiting for the first screen the application is executing a sql statement about 2200 times.

The SQL is: SELECT PARENTID FROM PROC_ WHERE PROCEDUREID=:1 The bind variable is different for each execution with appears to be the procedureid values from the table proc_. Table proc_ has 2203 rows. I check the executions for the sql text in v$sqlarea. Executions = 58,825. (aha, I think this is the problem).
I explain plan the query and find that it is using the primary key index.

My tuning skills are still pretty basic. Since I have no control over the application is there anything I can do to increase the performance of running the query thousands of times?

Also how do you usually deal with 3rd party application issues like this? 95% of our databases/applications are from 3rd party vendors and it's a pain trying to get them performing better.

Thanks,
Jeff Eberhard

Author: Eberhard, Jeff
  INET: Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 13:49:13 CST