RE: newbie dba question

From: Alex Dashko <newbie_dba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:16:05 -0800

Thanks very much to everyne!
I should've told you, first mistake sorry, that this is ORACLE 8.0.6 - can I run STATSPACK? Or should I stick with bstat/estat? I will be running stats during times when performance is normal nomal. But what steps in identifying the slowdowns in performace should be taken WHILE the issue is hot and users are on the horn with it? Obviously, they want FAST fix, magic stick. Their thinking is that there is a switch you turn on and that's it you're going fast again. Is there something that can be done in a short time window while the issue is present? Thanks again!
 "Godlewski, Melissa" <Melissa.Godlewski_at_hq.doe.gov> wrote:Alex, My 2 cents, First you need to get a baseline of performance during normal business hours, statspak is a great tool to use. When the system start to experience performance problems, then start drilling down to identify the issues. Use v$ tables as well as statspak more frequently. Additionally, when you find the sessions causing problems pull the sql and work with the developer to tune it, or identify hot objects you need to manage. Run the 10046 trace on the sessions and collect information on the waits etc. A good place to look is the www.orafaq.com for past list comments/information. A helpful book is Oracle 101 performance tuning by Gaja, Kirti, and John. You can also go to the hotsos site and run your reports through the YAPP to help identify bottlenecks. LOLM.Godlewski-----Original Message----- Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 10:54 PM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hello Gurus,

I heard that if I can get great ORACLE advice, this is the place, so here is my question. I've been asked to take over an existing db in production. What would be the right way to get a "quick" understanding on what's happening in it in terms ways for proactive tuning? I am just getting started while trying to be ahead of the curve. Is this something I should be looking into, or is it more like if it ain't broke, don't fix it? :). It'd be nice to get started and have a good view on what's going on. Also, can someone can share their experience on what can be done when customers report intermittent, but rather dramatic slowdowns in the system. Please note, the slowdowns are reported to be occurring in the entire system. What would be a good place to look when this happens and get some quick feedback?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Alex

Do you Yahoo!?

Do you Yahoo!?

Author: Alex Dashko
  INET: newbie_dba_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 12:16:05 CST