RE: corrupted block

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:19:27 -0800

6 AM --- A new shift comes on. Or is that when the janitor shows up and needs a place to plug in his vacuum cleaner?

I am always suspicious of hardware/system failures that fall right on the hour.

I once had an Oracle database on an AIX system. Every morning, when I came in, it was just starting up. Turns out that the SA like to have a "clean" system so at the start of his shift he would hit the RESET button on his RS/6000. No warning or notification, no graceful shutdown, just punch the big red button.

He also thought that backing up the entire database once a week would take too long so he would back up one RAID device every other day. With three RAID devices that gave him a weekly backup.

I finally got him educated but he didn't pass it on to his subs. He was in Jamaica (mon) for a week when we had a power outage. The UPS worked and we were able to keep going but two days later we lost all the files on our RAID devices. They located him in Jamaica, flew him back, he walked into the computer run, flipped the switch on the RAID devices' UPS, and they flew him back to Jamaica. His sub had reset the computer's UPS but had ignored that blinking red light over in the corner.

                      Rachel
                      Carmichael               To:      Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      <wisernet100             cc:
                      @yahoo.com>              Subject: RE: corrupted block
                      Sent by: root

                      02/27/2003 10:10
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to ORACLE-L

it's not a hardware problem. the fact that the filesystem failed at 6AM this morning is merely a collective hallucination

yes, it went down hard. My database was not on it, I had insisted they move all the files. They didn't move the Oracle binaries though ("there is no hardware problem") so we are down anyway, while they reinstall Oracle to a different filesystem

I'm getting tired of recovering this database. Over and over and over again. I've got this recovery scenario down pat, let's move on to a new one to try

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, more http://taxes.yahoo.com/
Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com