Re: ODBC and password expire messages

From: Jay <fish_dba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:39:18 -0800

If you are using VB (VBA/VB.Net or enve C#) using oo4o (Oracle Objects For OLE). This will five you more funcationalty and an increase in speed.

  The Oracle ODBC 8.1.7.2 driver added a button (when adding or configuring a DSN) to test the database connection. If a password has expired, the "Test Connection" will pop-up another dialog box so the password can be changed. Oracle 9i clients do not include the "Oracle ODBC Test" (c) 1996, which could also issue SQL statements.

  Note: the "Oracle Call Interface Programmer's Guide" describes the OCIPasswordChange() function, but I do not know how to call OCI functions from VB.

  Have Fun :)

  When adding or configuring ODBC us

  Martin, Alan (Contractor) (DLIS) wrote:

    Hi listers:

    In another moment you'll be able to tell I'm not ODBC literate. I can query a UNIX 9i DB using SQL*Plus from my PC using a Oracle9i client, and get ORA-28002: the password will expire within 10 days. The 8i client (to a 9i DB) does not show these messages. Neither does the 8i Oracle ODBC Test. I'd like to test a 9i ODBC connection from the PC client. I don't see an Oracle ODBC Test for the 9i client ORACLE_HOME. Is it still available? Should the ORA-28002 be passed back via ODBC? How does one check for it in VB?

    Thanx,
    Alan Martin
    Defense Logistics Information Service     Battle Creek, MI

Author: Jay
  INET: fish_dba_at_hotmail.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 10:39:18 CST