RE: Dealing with 3rd Party Applications

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:39:33 -0800

IME, I've found that the reason they say not to use features like that is because they don't know them and are therefore not able to support them.

One of our 3PV's applications that used Oracle had many features of Oracle performance (and recovery!!!) disabled because it was the least common denominator for their customers. Some of their customers have DBAs, but most do not. The problem with this approach is that it caused the 3PV's app to benchmark very poorly as the DB grew as well as require manual daily cold backups and/or exports (one of their developers told me not to do hotbacks because they would be useless due to some files being stored external to the DB -- I believe that we've since proved them wrong for our environment).

So, we spent weeks perf tuning our production DB for this app, at the cost of uptime to our users (I hope my perf tuning methodology has improved since then!). The DB has been up, been stable, and has been performing reasonably for 289 days now.

I know that there has been some discussion on this List before regarding tuning 3PV apps, but has anyone written up their methodology for dealing with this? On every Oracle perf tuning methodology I can remember seeing, the first item is "Tune SQL". With 3PV apps, that's usually not possible. I've got my own 3PV app tuning methods, but I know they need much improvement.

Rich

Rich Jesse                        System/Database Administrator
rich.jesse_at_qtiworld.com           Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 09:39:33 CST