RE: Invalid Procedures

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 02:44:32 -0800

>Hello all,
>
> We have installed a package in a client's
>place. Oracle 8.1.7 is the
>server version.
>Often it happens that the procedures become
>invalid. I want to know because
>of what reason some procedures become invalid.
>
>Thanks and Regards,
>Santosh

DDL against the objects the procedures depend on is usually the reason. Playing overenthusiastically with GRANT/REVOKE can also be a (less common) reason. Anything susceptible of modifying the execution plan can also be a culprit. Check what your procedures depend on (DBA_DEPENDENCIES) and check the modification date for these objects in DBA_OBJECTS may give you a clue. Otherwise it may come from maintenance operations (I am not too sure about it, but I wouldn't be shocked if collecting statistics would invalidate procedures to force them to recompile on the fly and take advantage of new stats. It wasn't the case some versions ago but I *think* it has changed).

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole

Author: Stephane Faroult