RE: Oracle version??

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:59:07 -0800

I just plugged through a "$ strings oracle" to see if the version information is in there anyplace. On an 8.1.7 kernel, I was surprised to find that version numbers all the way from 8.0.0 through 8.2.0 show up in the file. The string I was really looking for was "Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release %d.%d.%d.%d.%d %s"--the release number is stored in five separate variables, which are printed through this printf format string...

However, there are a couple of tricks you might engage. I just did this on my Linux system and found what version my kernel *thinks* it is:

$ strace -s100 oracle 2>&1 | grep "Oracle.*Release"

This strace command catches the kernel's write() call of the release number into a background trace file. You could also look at the background trace files if you wanted to conserve the overhead of invoking the oracle executable. The thing exit()s, so I think it's safe to run it this way, but you probably don't want the side effects of extra trace file writing, etc.

I think peeking into the trace file is a possible solution for you, but then I'd take the wise advice of people of those on the list who might be able to prove that the kernel can actually lie about its own release number...

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- RMOUG Training Days 2003, Mar 5-6 Denver - Hotsos Clinic 101, Mar 25-27 London

Author: Rajesh Dayal
  INET: Rajesh_at_ohitelecom.com

Author: Cary Millsap
  INET: cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Feb 27 2003 - 00:59:07 CST