RE: Dealing with 3rd Party Applications

From: Darrell Landrum <dlandrum_at_zalecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:43:54 -0800

Yes, read the vendor documentation, then scrutinize it. One serious thing to look for is the documentation up to date. We're implementing a new application right now, which includes a healthy amount of docs from the vendor regarding Oracle. Their docs said I cannot use LMT. Their docs said I cannot use partitioning. The docs said I cannot use newer Oracle than 8.1.7.1. After I counted to 100 (or 1000, I lost count) and got more coffee, I wrote a firm, but nice e-mail to the project manager asking him to confirm with the vendor just what they were trying to prove. No, seriously, I wanted to know specifically what problems they encountered with LMT and partitioning in their testing. I suggested that without specific results, I would use LMT anyway. Their reply was that the documention was outdated and that we could use 8.1.7.4, could use LMT, and could use partitioning. This case was easy.
Another such circumstance has a vendor telling us that we cannot use archivelog mode because it will kill performance. They didn't say it might affect performance if not configured properly, they said (more than once) it will kill performance. It's still early, this too shall pass.

The point is not to bash vendor documentation, but to encourage folks to read it. Read it for what it says and for what it doesn't say.

Darrell Landrum

>>> DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM 02/26/03 05:19PM >>> Jeff -

   I think we all have 3rd party apps to wrestle with, and I'm hoping you will get some good responses that I can also use.

   Here is my tip. The vendor probably has a chapter in a manual about how they interface with Oracle. Read this, but don't skim it like most of us do because we have way too much to read. No, ponder each word and try online experiments to try and learn what every detail means. In a former life I worked for a vendor and I wrote that Oracle chapter. Now I participate in an online group and explain to other users what I wrote back then. For some reason it is hard to write that sort of thing so everyone can understand it.

   Of course, some vendors wrote their code to interface to MS Access then later ported it to Oracle. ;-)

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Eberhard, Jeff
  INET: Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Darrell Landrum
  INET: dlandrum_at_zalecorp.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Feb 26 2003 - 18:43:54 CST