password scripting question

From: Nick Wagner <Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:24:03 -0800

This is somewhat related to the question earlier about how to encrypt a password in a script... however, what I want to do is also be able to start that database through a script.

(Oracle 9.2.0.)

Essentially I have a database that I want to shut down at 5pm every night, and start it back up at 8am in the morning. I currently have a script that logs into sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

I tried creating a use OPS$ORACLE and granted it dba, sysdba, and set the tablespaces. And I can log in fine doing a

$ sqlplus /

and when I do a 'select user from dual;' it comes back and says OPS$ORACLE... exactly what I want... however when I try to start or shutdown the database it says I must be logged in as SYSDBA or SYSOPR... or I try

$ sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

logs into oracle just fine, but when I do a 'select user from dual;' it comes back as SYS and not OPS$ORACLE... what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Nick

Author: Nick Wagner
  INET: Nick.Wagner_at_quest.com