Re: Using fully qualified table_name.database_object in

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:28:48 -0800

I have, unfortunately, a perfect reason for using synonyms and not fully qualifying names...

We've just opened an iTAR on this:

some time this afternoon, the other DBA tried to recreate several of the stored procedures, functions and packages. Normal code development in the test database. Unfortunately, and we still don't know why, we got several ora-600 errors and we cannot drop or replace several of the stored procedures. We think that they were in use when he tried this, and that they got locked.

We tried bouncing the database. No help, still stuck, can't recreate etc. Developers are sitting around twiddling their thumbs and planning the lynching. Support says something about System types getting dropped, which makes no sense to us, we don't touch Oracle-created types.

We don't want to even try to drop the user, in case that makes things worse. Even if it works, we then have nothing to work on with Support so that it doesn't happen again.

HOWEVER.... we use public synonyms for the procedures and no program is hard-coded to use the owner.procedure name. So I told the other DBA to create a new user, create the procedures/packages/functions owned by this user and to drop and recreate the public synonyms.

Developers can work and we have the mess still available to work on with Oracle. Oh yeah, the other DBA gets to go home :)

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Tax Center - forms, calculators, tips, more http://taxes.yahoo.com/
Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com